Law Offices of Raymond Lo, LLC
Schedule Your Free Consultation
English 800-519-2261 En Español 201-633-8273
CoVid Notice: The Law Offices of Raymond Lo, LLC are conducting meetings by telephone/videoconferencing.

Can I Fight A Deportation Order?

What Options Do I Have?

The sudden realization that you are facing removal proceedings can be a terrifying experience. Deportation - for any reason - can be frightening no matter how much notice you have. Many people who receive a deportation letter automatically assume that the decision is made - and cannot be changed. The truth is, however, you might have additional legal options at your disposal that could allow you to continue to live and work in the United States.

Deportation, or removal proceedings, can impact different people for different reasons. Even legal permanent residents, those with a valid green card, can be deported. Certain situations such as committing marriage fraud, violating terms of a conditional permanent resident status or being convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude can result in removal proceedings.

But what can you do to protect yourself and your family?

After fully examining your situation, many attorneys will file motions to reopen and/or motions to reconsider.

Motions To Reopen

In certain situations, it might be possible to ask an immigration judge to reopen the case and review your deportation order. A motion to reopen is a brief that explains why you believe your case should be reexamined - with any relevant legal facts included. Two of the most common motions to reopen are "motion to reopen an in absentia decision" and "motion to reopen due to changed circumstances."

Motions To Reconsider

While a motion to reopen might focus on changing circumstances or new information, a motion to reconsider takes the position that an immigration judge made a mistake and came to an incorrect conclusion regarding your deportation.

Receiving a deportation order might be a devastating occurrence in your life, but you still have options. There is still hope. You've built a life in the United States, and you might have legal options to battle removal proceedings. An experienced immigration attorney will carefully review your case and provide clear answers about what your next step should be. As soon as you possibly can, call a lawyer and begin building your case to continue living and working in the U.S.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Representing clients In Jersey City And Communities Throughout The Tri-State Area.
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Jersey City Office
185 Hudson Street, Suite 2519
2500 Plaza 5, Harborside Financial Center
Jersey City, NJ 07311

Toll Free: 800-566-0954
Phone: 201-633-3688
Phone: 201-633-8273
Fax: 212-966-8660
Jersey City Law Office Map

New York Office
139 Centre Street, Suite 810
New York, NY 10013

Toll Free: 800-566-0954
Phone: 212-966-8668
New York Law Office Map

Clifton Office
340 Clifton Avenue, 2nd Floor
Clifton, NJ 07011

Toll Free: 800-566-0954
Phone: 973-685-2808
Clifton Law Office Map