• En Español
  • 한국어 페이지
  • 中文网
  • বাংলা
Law Offices of Raymond Lo, LLC | New Jersey Immigration Attorneys
Schedule Your Free Consultation

English 800-566-0954 En Español 800-519-2261

English 800-566-0954

En Español 800-519-2261

CoVid Notice: The Law Offices of Raymond Lo, LLC are conducting meetings by telephone / videoconferencing.

Helping You Make Your American Dream Come True

Helping You Make Your American Dream Come True

How to secure a green card

On Behalf of | Dec 26, 2018

A green card functions as a permit that allows a person from another country to work and live permanently in the United States. A person with a green card has much less to worry about as far as deportation. The card also grants the person more rights and protections. 

There are a few different ways an immigrant can apply for and receive a green card. To unite a family, it is critical to be aware of all options to know what is right for you and your situation. 

Through a job

People who come to the United States to work can apply for a green card through their jobs. In fact, the employer can play an active role in the green card process. The employer will need to acquire the Form I-140 Immigrant Petition through the United States Department of State. It is much easier to go through the green card process if the individual applying has a special skill or takes on a specialized job, such as a translator for a foreign language. 

Through family

This is the most popular way to acquire a green card. An immigrant who is a close family member to someone who is already a United States citizen can help you petition to secure a green card. United States citizens can petition their spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21 and parents over the age of 21. In the event the relative is also a green card holder, then it is still possible to go through the process. It will just take longer. 

Through asylum or being a refugee

Many people come to the United States to seek asylum. Once someone has been in the country for at least one year, he or she can file for a green card. In fact, refugees have a requirement to apply after one year, but asylees do not have such a requirement.