• En Español
  • 한국어 페이지
  • 中文网
  • বাংলা
Law Offices of Raymond Lo, LLC | New Jersey Immigration Attorneys
Schedule Your Free Consultation

English 800-566-0954 En Español 800-519-2261

English 800-566-0954

En Español 800-519-2261

CoVid Notice: The Law Offices of Raymond Lo, LLC are conducting meetings by telephone / videoconferencing.

Helping You Make Your American Dream Come True

Helping You Make Your American Dream Come True

Bringing your fiancé(e) to the United States: A step-by-step guide

On Behalf of | Feb 13, 2023

If you’re an American citizen in New Jersey and want to bring your foreign fiancé(e) to the U.S. to start a life together, you can follow the appropriate process of sponsoring your fiancé(e) for a K-1 visa. This allows them to enter the U.S. for 90 days, during which must get married.

Determine eligibility

The first step in bringing your fiancé(e) to the United States is to determine if you are eligible to sponsor them for a K-1 visa. You must be a U.S. citizen, and your fiancé(e) must be a foreign national living outside the U.S. Additionally, both of you must be free to marry and the engagement must be a bona fide one, meaning it must be entered into with a sincere intention to marry.

File the petition

Once you have determined that you are eligible to sponsor your fiancé(e) for a K-1 visa, you need to file a petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The petition is Form I-129F, and it needs to be filed in the U.S., with the USCIS. The form is accompanied by evidence of your relationship, such as photographs, emails and other documentation that proves that your relationship is real and ongoing.

Wait for approval

Once your petition is filed, you will need to wait for approval from the USCIS. This process can take several months, so be prepared for a wait. If your petition is approved, your fiancé(e) will be notified and can proceed with the next step in the process.

Attend a medical examination

Once your fiancé(e) has been notified of their visa approval, they will need to attend a medical examination with an approved physician. The examination aims to ensure that your fiancée does not have any medical conditions that would make them inadmissible to the U.S.

Attend the visa interview

After the medical examination, your fiancé(e) must attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. During the interview, they will be asked questions about their relationship with you, their plans for the future and other related matters. They will also need to provide any additional documentation that the consular officer may require.

Enter the US

If your fiancé(e) is approved for a K-1 visa, they will then be able to travel to the U.S. and be admitted for 90 days. During this time, you two must get married. If you do not get married within 90 days, your fiancé(e) will need to leave the U.S. and the K-1 visa will become void.

Apply for permanent residence

After you get married, your fiancé(e) can apply for permanent residence (a green card) in the U.S. This process involves submitting several forms and providing evidence of your marriage and other related information.

Uniting with your fiancé(e)

Bringing your fiancé(e) to the United States is a multi-step process, but with the correct information, it can be done successfully. Remember to be patient, as the process can take several months. If you follow the steps outlined above, you should be well on your way to a happy and successful life together in the United States.